Saturday, November 21, 2015

"Late" reading and encouraging their passions

Noah is what many consider a "late" reader. He was a very late talker so it stands to reason that he would be a "late" reader. (Believe it or not he had a very severe speech delay.) I say it that way because I really don't believe there is any such thing as a "late" reader. Everyone learns at their own pace and while you can "make" someone "do reading" (or math or whatever) you can't really make them learn and trying to force it may just cause more harm than good. I know this because I've done a LOT of research on it (being the voracious reader that I am 😉) but also because I had other children who were "late readers" (As well as "early" and "average" ones, too.) and I was a "late" reader myself. One of my "late readers" I forced reading on (drill, drill, drill) because that was what "good" homeschool moms do. You might teach a kid to read that way after much pain to both of you but it's not a good way to make them Iove reading. In fact it's a good way to make them hate reading. 😢 And to a person who would just as soon give up food and air as give up books, if I have a choice I will take a child who reads "late" but learns to love it over one who reads "on time" but hardly ever does so. So when my next "late reader" came along I didn't push or drill. I just read books aloud as much as possible and I utilized lots of audiobooks, too. I'd try the phonics and reading every so often and see if it was "clicking", then go on reading to them. Eventually this child learned to read, almost overnight and almost by magic (it was in one summer, actually) - after practically memorizing books such as the entire Narnia series, The Hobbit and LOTR. They became a voracious reader who reads more than anyone I know - even me. Easily several books a weeks. Thank God for my Kindle Unlimited subscription; it saves me some money. It was really satisfying seeing that I was right all along and that my "method" was not only right for my child but was "successful" beyond my wildest dreams. "Mom I need a book" are the sweetest words to my ears. I never say no.

So when reading wasn't "clicking" with Noah I knew I would follow the path I took with his "late reading" sibling who loves to read and nor the other one, who doesn't. Lots of reading aloud and lots of audiobooks. (Thank God for Audible.) We'd try phonics and reading from time to time but until recently it was going right over his head. What he did in the phonics lesson one day he simply didn't remember the next. More reading aloud and we'll try again later. One day not long ago I found him looking at a pile of picture books; that were strewn all over the floor. He looked up at me with the sweetest look of contentment on his face and said, "Mom, I just love books SO MUCH!" My heart did a summersault and I said, "Thank you, God!" I knew I was on the right path, despite what others may think.

Things are finally starting to click with him and his reading is coming along well. We work on it regularly and I predict that he'll be reading voraciously very soon. But in the meantime he still loves listening to me read to him and that's how we spend most of our "school" time. He also still loves to listen to audiobooks on his Kindle Fire and iPod and generally does so for several hours a day, as he always has. For a kid who "can't read" he's always listened to books more than most kids who can. More than most adults, in fact.

Like his older brothers he especially likes to listen to certain ones over and over until he's practically memorized them. His favorite "subject" is Greek Mythology and he can talk your ear off for HOURS about it. (He adores Percy Jackson and D'Aulaire's Greek Myths.) I was telling Vincent Le Goff​ how it's cool that Noah knows so much about it and loves it so much, even though I didn't "teach" it to him or "make" him learn it. I didn't even suggest it and it's not a "school subject" we've done. I just bought him a kindle, gave him my old iphone and keep him supplied with books via Audible. (Vincent and I love to talk about education and he's Noah's biggest fan outside the family. 😊)

Vincent said he doesn't know much about Greek mythology and would like to learn more and wondered if Noah would be willing to tutor him. 😊 When I told Noah this he was ecstatic! He immediately put the book he was currently listening to on hold and began listening to PJ again to "prepare" for tutoring Vincent. He takes his job very seriously. He's had a few sessions with Vincent so far and they both seem to be enjoying the arrangement immensely. (We all enjoy Noah having someone else to "share" with. 😉) He even brought the Disney movie Hercules for his movie night tonight to reinforce the lessons. He told me that Vincent is a wonderful student because he not only listens attentively but he "asks lots of questions" as well. (Hint, Mom.)

For a kid who was severely delayed in talking as a young child Noah talks a LOT. All the time! I know that can drive people crazy sometimes. Siblings, every adult or kid he sees. It drives me crazy sometimes, too, being the introvert that I am who Just. Needs. Quiet. So. I. Can. Think. But I try to listen as much as I can because I know that people don't just (or even mostly) learn by being "taught things" but by pursuing their passions and interests and then sharing them with others. That's what I see as my real job as a homeschool mom. Sharing my interests and passions with them, setting an example as a person who is always learning new things and pursuing knowledge and skills, helping them discover their own passions and interests, giving them the tools and opportunities they need to do so (books, pets, riding lessons, hobbies, movies, experiences) and then letting THEM teach me what they find so interesting and exciting, even if I don't always feel as enthusiastic as they do. 😉 I'm not great at it because if anything my biggest fault is getting too caught up in my own interests and things I'm not interested in make my eyes glaze over, but I try very hard.

Vincent is one of the rare individuals who sees the value in that last part, and who embraces it wholeheartedly. For that Vincent, Noah and I thank you so much. I know you are studying education so that you can help and "teach" others. But you see, you are already doing just that. 😀

No comments: